Skip to main content

Docs for Facebook - First Try

Yesterday I got an invitation to start using Docs for Facebook in BETA. I was really excited and rushed to edit and upload documents into the system to try how that works.

Ok, let's see what I have got.

First of all I entered the system and hit Create a new Word Document menu command:


Here it is:


I quickly ran through the menu tabs:





For me it was enough from the Web document editor and I started editing a document:


I work on iMac and use Firefox as my main browser. When I tried to copy something using context menu the system told me this:

That is not a big issue for me, because hot keys worked alright as I expected and didn't stop me from comfortable authoring.

I inserted a couple of images:


Played a little with fonts. By the way it's not a huge range of fonts that are available at the moment:


Changed document title:




And here you go:


Freshly baked Word document online. :)

Now I want to change security on this document. I want some of my friends to be able to view this document. That's easy:

I clicked Edit button near Viewers Sharing group and selected Individual users. When I started typing my friends list appeared filtered:


So I have chosen one of my friends and saved:


System can notify users about those changes.

Great! After that I created an Excel document:





There is an command to refresh calculations and data connections if they were in the document:


Though I couldn't find an option to add external data connection to the document, but I think it will be available in the future. Also I am going to try and upload an Excel spreadsheet with some external connections and see how that works.

In regard to document uploads - only Office 2007 documents can be uploaded. I tried .XLS file and system didn't allow me that.

Also funny stuff: I tried to upload 10Mb file and it seemed like system started uploading it, but it took several minutes until I just closed my browser session, because I couldn't either stop the upload or do anything else during this process.

Another limitation I found - I couldn't rename my sheets:

Maybe I just don't know how to do that at the moment, but I think it's just a limitation of BETA version.

Good, now I have two documents in Docs:



Very nice. From today I will put all my personal documentation into Docs. The only limitation I see is that I need to have Facebook account to register and use it, but anyway these days you have to register everywhere to get access so to me it is an advantage rather than a limitation, because I don't have to remember another login and will just use my Facebook one.

Stay tuned for more. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up External Content Type for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Foundation

This post is a follow up on the issues that I have got setting up External Content Type (ECT) on SharePoint 2010 Foundation that was going to connect to remote SQL Server database for information. I cannot use my SharePoint user accounts to access SQL Server.

According to the information I have discovered ECT and Business Connectivity Services are available in the SharePoint 2010 Foundation, but there are some issues if you want to use authentication methods in your external connections that are different from Windows Identity or Current User Identity. This is because there is no Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2010 Foundation which serves as an impersonation hub and is only available in SharePoint 2010 Server edition.
The issues are coming from the fact that you can actually create ECT in SharePoint Designer 2010 providing just Secure Store ID and system would ask you for credentials and here you go, but when you try to use your ECT in External Lists or as a lookup columns you wou…

SharePoint 2010 Search Issue - FQDN Crawl

I have recently set up a standalone SharePoint 2010 environment.

The Web application was created with host header and the site collection is accessible from the client machines, but not internally. That was because of using FQDN to access the Web site.

The error when I tried to access site internally was similar to the one described here:

You receive error 401.1 when you browse a Web site that uses Integrated Authentication and is hosted on IIS 5.1 or a later version

And the search returned the following error in the Event Log:

"The start address cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search_Service_Application', Catalog 'Portal_Content'

Details: This item could not be crawled because the crawler could not connect to the repository."

One of the suggestions was to disable the loopback check, but that would compromise the Web server.

So what I have done was:

1. Added a binding to my IIS Web site for a different port. Let's say my Web server name is win-v7m…

SharePoint 2013 - Setting Up External Content Type

There were earlier posts where we discussed External Content Types setup for SharePoint 2010:

Setting up External Content Type for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Foundation

External Content Types - Reload - Setting up for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Server

This one is about creating connection to the custom SQL Server database (External System) in SharePoint 2013.

1. Create Secure Store Service Target Application

1.1. Go to Central Administration -> Manage Service Applications -> Secure Store Service Application. Click "Generate New Key" if required:


1.2. Provide Pass Phrase:

1.3. Create "New" to create new Target Application:


1.4. Provide the name and other parameters and click "Next":

Note: It's good idea to specify "Group" for Target Application Type. In that case you would be able to manage access to the external data using Active Directory groups rather …