Skip to main content

SharePoint 2010 & Ubuntu

Last week I worked 2.5 days doing SharePoint 2010 using Ubuntu 10.04 installed on my 6 yo laptop.

Laptop: Samsung P28, Intel Celeron M, 1Gb RAM, 40Gb HDD, WiFi network adapter. Browser: Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical 1.0

Tasks I was able to do in regard to SharePoint implementation:

- Document management. Creating documents using OpenOffice then uploading them into SharePoint via browser.
- Management of custom lists, content types, site columns, views etc. All site settings available from Web browser UI.
- Forms Authentication and Search set up. I used rdesktop to connect remotely to the SharePoint Web and Application server.

Positive:
- I have got most of the new features of user experience: ribbon, menus, styles etc.
- If I don't need custom Web applications development for SharePoint or SharePoint Designer work on my laptop or other client machine I can use Open Source and free software easily. Anyway Visual Studio and SharePoint Designer could be installed straight on the Web server if necessary.

Negative:
- Some functionality - i.e. Datasheet View, Upload Multiple Documents etc. is not available.

Below are some screenshots I have done to illustrate how it looks like.





Stay tuned for more articles from Wylde Solutions and if you have any questions regarding SharePoint 2010 contact us now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up External Content Type for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Foundation

This post is a follow up on the issues that I have got setting up External Content Type (ECT) on SharePoint 2010 Foundation that was going to connect to remote SQL Server database for information. I cannot use my SharePoint user accounts to access SQL Server.

According to the information I have discovered ECT and Business Connectivity Services are available in the SharePoint 2010 Foundation, but there are some issues if you want to use authentication methods in your external connections that are different from Windows Identity or Current User Identity. This is because there is no Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2010 Foundation which serves as an impersonation hub and is only available in SharePoint 2010 Server edition.
The issues are coming from the fact that you can actually create ECT in SharePoint Designer 2010 providing just Secure Store ID and system would ask you for credentials and here you go, but when you try to use your ECT in External Lists or as a lookup columns you wou…

SharePoint 2013 - Setting Up External Content Type

There were earlier posts where we discussed External Content Types setup for SharePoint 2010:

Setting up External Content Type for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Foundation

External Content Types - Reload - Setting up for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Server

This one is about creating connection to the custom SQL Server database (External System) in SharePoint 2013.

1. Create Secure Store Service Target Application

1.1. Go to Central Administration -> Manage Service Applications -> Secure Store Service Application. Click "Generate New Key" if required:


1.2. Provide Pass Phrase:

1.3. Create "New" to create new Target Application:


1.4. Provide the name and other parameters and click "Next":

Note: It's good idea to specify "Group" for Target Application Type. In that case you would be able to manage access to the external data using Active Directory groups rather …

SharePoint 2010 Search Issue - FQDN Crawl

I have recently set up a standalone SharePoint 2010 environment.

The Web application was created with host header and the site collection is accessible from the client machines, but not internally. That was because of using FQDN to access the Web site.

The error when I tried to access site internally was similar to the one described here:

You receive error 401.1 when you browse a Web site that uses Integrated Authentication and is hosted on IIS 5.1 or a later version

And the search returned the following error in the Event Log:

"The start address cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search_Service_Application', Catalog 'Portal_Content'

Details: This item could not be crawled because the crawler could not connect to the repository."

One of the suggestions was to disable the loopback check, but that would compromise the Web server.

So what I have done was:

1. Added a binding to my IIS Web site for a different port. Let's say my Web server name is win-v7m…