Skip to main content

User Profiles Synchronization - SharePoint 2010

Scenario

Synchronize User Profiles with Active Directory for a new SharePoint 2010 installation or for existing SharePoint 2010 installation.

Solution

1. Go to Central Administration -> Manage Service Applications -> User Profile Service Application settings. Select Configure Synchronization Connections:

2. Click Create New Connection button:

 3. In the Type dropdown select Active Directory. Specify service account that has access to Active Directory and click Populate Containers to select objects that you want to import from specified Active Directory:

4. When the new connection is created go to Edit Connection Filters action screen:

 5. In our case we want to synchronize only active user accounts. So we add Exclusion Filter for Users as Attribute = userAccountControl, Operator = Bit on equal, Filter = 2. Which is exactly the the same as LDAP query (!(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))
Then click Add:


6. When the Exclusion Filter appears click OK to save settings:

7. Start Profile Synchronization:


8. Wait till it's done and then look at the imported profiles to check:



Comments

  1. This looks to me like a simple copy - paste from a Microsoft document. As a suggestion, much better if you have treated the User Profile Sync installation process, which is indeed a challenge. You provide this info with the assumption that you already have the UPS already running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear gmbx25,
    First, just for your information, this is not a "copy - paste from a Microsoft document", but an illustrated process of how to synchronize user profiles that I have done myself. So as a suggestion, next time when you state something, please be sure that you have done your research properly and if not sure ask the owner of the blog why he/she posts something.
    Thanks for the feedback anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up External Content Type for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Foundation

This post is a follow up on the issues that I have got setting up External Content Type (ECT) on SharePoint 2010 Foundation that was going to connect to remote SQL Server database for information. I cannot use my SharePoint user accounts to access SQL Server.

According to the information I have discovered ECT and Business Connectivity Services are available in the SharePoint 2010 Foundation, but there are some issues if you want to use authentication methods in your external connections that are different from Windows Identity or Current User Identity. This is because there is no Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2010 Foundation which serves as an impersonation hub and is only available in SharePoint 2010 Server edition.
The issues are coming from the fact that you can actually create ECT in SharePoint Designer 2010 providing just Secure Store ID and system would ask you for credentials and here you go, but when you try to use your ECT in External Lists or as a lookup columns you wou…

SharePoint 2013 - Setting Up External Content Type

There were earlier posts where we discussed External Content Types setup for SharePoint 2010:

Setting up External Content Type for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Foundation

External Content Types - Reload - Setting up for SQL Server database using SQL Server authentication - SharePoint 2010 Server

This one is about creating connection to the custom SQL Server database (External System) in SharePoint 2013.

1. Create Secure Store Service Target Application

1.1. Go to Central Administration -> Manage Service Applications -> Secure Store Service Application. Click "Generate New Key" if required:


1.2. Provide Pass Phrase:

1.3. Create "New" to create new Target Application:


1.4. Provide the name and other parameters and click "Next":

Note: It's good idea to specify "Group" for Target Application Type. In that case you would be able to manage access to the external data using Active Directory groups rather …

SharePoint 2010 Search Issue - FQDN Crawl

I have recently set up a standalone SharePoint 2010 environment.

The Web application was created with host header and the site collection is accessible from the client machines, but not internally. That was because of using FQDN to access the Web site.

The error when I tried to access site internally was similar to the one described here:

You receive error 401.1 when you browse a Web site that uses Integrated Authentication and is hosted on IIS 5.1 or a later version

And the search returned the following error in the Event Log:

"The start address cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search_Service_Application', Catalog 'Portal_Content'

Details: This item could not be crawled because the crawler could not connect to the repository."

One of the suggestions was to disable the loopback check, but that would compromise the Web server.

So what I have done was:

1. Added a binding to my IIS Web site for a different port. Let's say my Web server name is win-v7m…